** 2 Day BUSINESS OF MARRIAGE WORKSHOP EVENT ** APRIL 16 & 17, 2010

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How did she get THAT gene?

The kids are old enough now we have them share in cleaning the dishes duties. The other day it was Avery's turn to load the dishwasher. Although they all take longer then needs to be taken to load, Avery has a way of really dragging it out. About 1/4 of the way through she decides she has to take a bathroom break. No big deal. She comes back about 5 minutes later to begin again. After another 15 minutes of taking her time loading she suddenly has to go to the bathroom again. It was then when I realized she does that a lot when it comes to work. She will get started then suddenly have to go to the bathroom. This will happen a few times during whatever the assignment will be. She can go all day playing with friends or watching a long movie and never have to get up, but when it comes to work, all of the sudden her bladder starts tapping at her.

Suddenly an even bigger realization came to me... I did the exact same thing growing up. I started to have flashbacks to working concrete with my step dad during the summers and I would often find myself having to go to the bathroom, just to get a break from working, even if just for a few minutes. I would do it during house chores as well, hoping that the five minutes I spent in the bathroom would mean when I got out the work had somehow magically diminished.

Avery and I definitely share some personality traits like being nosy by wanting to be involved in adult conversations, a desire for attention and a love of laughing. Those I attribute to being a third child. Since she was borne, everyone has said she looks like me but is the "bathroom gene" something that could actually be passed on?

Looks and middle child personality traits, those I get, but I never realized I could pass on the "I'm working, therefore I must go to the bathroom" gene?